What is .NET Framework Development?
.NET Framework Development runs on MIcrosoft Windows. The framework has a large class library, supports Windows GUI development [...] Our team of experienced developers are ASP.NET pros! Contact us today for a quote on your next software project.
Essential Designs Team
July 6, 2015
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]"Dot net" is a general-purpose software development platform similar to Java, which runs on MIcrosoft Windows. The framework has a large class library, supports Windows GUI development, database access, web development and web services, and allows language interoperability with several different programming languages. Programs written for .NET Framework execute in a software environment.
Design Features include: Interoperability
- Because computer systems commonly require interaction between newer and older applications, the .NET Framework provides means to access functionality implemented in programs that execute outside the .NET environment. Access to COM components is provided in the System.Runtime. InteropServices and System.EnterpriseServices namespaces of the framework; access to other functionality is provided using the P/Invoke feature.
Common Language Runtime Engine
- The Common Language Runtime (CLR) is the execution engine of the .NET Framework. All .NET programs execute under the supervision of the CLR, guaranteeing certain properties and behaviors in the areas of memory management, security, and exception handling.
- The .NET Framework introduces a Common Type System, or CTS. The CTS specification defines all possible datatypes and programming constructs supported by the CLR and how they may or may not interact with each other conforming to the Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) specification. Because of this feature, the .NET Framework supports the exchange of types and object instances between libraries and applications written using any conforming .NET language.
Base Class Library
- The Base Class Library (BCL), part of the Framework Class Library (FCL), is a library of functionality available to all languages using the .NET Framework. The BCL provides classes which encapsulate a number of common functions, including file reading and writing, graphic rendering, database interaction, XML document manipulation and so on.
- The .NET Framework includes design features and tools which help manage the installation of computer software to ensure it does not interfere with previously installed software, and it conforms to security requirements.
- The design is meant to address some of the vulnerabilities, such as buffer overflows, which have been exploited by malicious software. Additionally, .NET provides a common security model for all applications.
- While Microsoft has never implemented the full framework on any system except Microsoft Windows, the framework is engineered to be platform agnostic, and cross-platform implementations are available for other operating systems (see Silverlight and the Alternative implementations section below). Microsoft submitted the specifications for the Common Language Infrastructure (which includes the core class libraries, Common Type System, and the Common Intermediate Language), the C# language, and the C++/CLI language to both ECMA and the ISO, making them available as open standards. This makes it possible for third parties to create compatible implementations of the framework and its languages on other platforms.
Making hundreds of businesses better, big or small.
“Essential Designs was able to create a cutting edge application that will save lives, they always say "Anything can be done" and are definitely able to deliver on that promise.”
"We’ve been engaged with Essential Designs for several years now and we’ve found that the value they deliver is significantly above everyone else that we deal with."
"I had a lot of trust in them, everyone knew their job, and they worked very efficiently. ...the trust and communication skills were what distinguished them from their competitors.’’
“Essential Designs’ communication skills are one of their strongest suits...accurately informing the client about time estimates and possible delays. They’re also very responsive and knowledgeable."
The Impact of AI and Machine Learning on Custom Application Development
Essential Designs Team
September 29, 2023
In a rapidly evolving tech landscape, discover how AI and Machine Learning are reshaping custom application development, making it smarter, more efficient, and user-centric than ever before. Dive into the future of software solutions with this eye-opening exploration.